Thursday 15 September 2011

South Beach Diet - Day 1

Right, how did Day 1 go? Well, I probably didn't get off to the best start because I was waiting on my shopping being delivered - and that didn't arrive until lunchtime.

So besides getting up late and not having any food til late lunch, let's see what I did manage to do:

1st try of soya milk (unsweetened) - interesting! I thought I was as well to try it, because I can't have my usual semi-skimmed milk (can have skimmed only, or other low-fat milk alternatives), but I'm glad I only bought a small carton! It didn't taste too bad, but the smell was pretty strong and off-putting - very nutty, with a hint of cardboard, and reminded me too much of some funky rice pudding for me to enjoy it.  Verdict: binned.

My next new "buy n try" was vanilla protein powder. Sadly my first attempt at mixing it with something (vegetable juice - see below) was beyond yuck and put me off.  But I've realised I maybe just need to research it more, to get ideas of what I can do with it, and think it will probably be of more use to me at phase 2 - when I'll have more food choices.  Verdict: try again next time.

So onto the veg juice - I got some V8 to try, as it's recommended in the book to have a glass of vegetable juice every day.  I must admit, I was trying a shortcut by combining my breakfast & lunch options in one go (since it was getting on for 1pm) and somehow thought it would be good to try blending some of this veg juice with the protein powder.  I was wrong.  Very, very wrong! It was so horrible that after the first sip, I felt physically sick at the thought of having any more, so sadly it went down the sink.  Verdict: try again next time.

Finally I found a winning combo - turkey rashers, tomatoes and scrambled egg.  The main thing with the 1st 2 weeks is pretty much all carbohydrates are off-limits - that means no pasta, rice, potatoes or bread.  Which are all pretty much my staples - already I was missing my morning cereal, and it's only day 1! But the turkey rashers are yummy - I grilled 2 of them, along with 2 tomatoes, and scrambled 2 eggs on the hob.  Verdict: winner!

All this just for some breakfast!

Dinner went a little better - I'd had time to think, so was able to get a bit more creative.  I decided on pork medallions, marinated in soy, ginger & balsamic vinegar, accompanied with grilled asparagus & green beans, plus a side of butter beans in a tomato sauce (homemade - so no sugar or additives).  Unfortunately I didn't take a pic of this, but it was delicious and I will be doing this one again.  The only thing is I'd decided against doing a side salad, because my plate was beyond full with all those veggies piled on, but I was actually still hungry afterwards so really could have done with something more.  Verdict: potential winner, but needs work.

As a late-night snack I had some Greek yoghurt, with a little of the vanilla protein powder mixed in to help fill me up (my tummy was on the verge of rumbling again, since dinner didn't fill me up) and a handful of cashews.  Verdict: tasty.

Overall, I think once I got over the initial teething problems I did ok - but I didn't follow the diet rules as closely as I should have.  The whole idea of this diet is to level out blood-sugar levels by eating regularly, and I soooo didn't do that - so it's no wonder I didn't feel full.  I'm meant to have 3 full meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner), with 2 snacks and a dessert thrown in.  I only managed breakfast - actually more like brunch - and dinner, with a late-night snack.  I did finish the night with a hot chocolate - thankfully, I only use cocoa powder anyway for my hot chocolates, so it wasn't too much of a hardship for me haha! Instead of using sugar, I used fructose instead (fruit sugar) and added a little skimmed milk to the boiled water.  I think that could be my nightly treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment