Thursday 1 September 2011

Sneezing, sniffles, coughing....? Winter is on it's way!

Well September is here already - almost can't believe it, except I've managed to catch a cold already!

Colds are horrid things - they're (usually) not serious enough to warrant medical intervention, but you can be stuck with one for weeks.  They make you feel miserable, with all the coughing/sneezing/runny nose, and the thing that drives me mad is you just have to wait it out.

I do have a coping strategy though - I stock up on my vitamins/minerals, drink plenty of water & fruit juice, rest as much as I can and aim for healthy & wholesome foods.  Whether they work or not (and I believe they do) is only part of the story - I also do it to make myself feel better.  And I think that's usually half the battle - when you're ill, trying to stay positive is really hard work so I try to focus on doing the little things that help.

So I figured today would be a good day to get started on my cold-busting tactics.  I stopped off at the health shop earlier to get my vitamin C + zinc, anti-viral tissues, antibacterial hand gel and for some reason, lentils.  I don't know why, but I always reach for lentils when I'm feeling sick - and today's choice was puy.

My mind power is running pretty low at the moment, so rather than try to invent something new I had a quick search for recipes that inspired me.  Two main ingredients were on my search list - eggs (because I have plenty and want to use them) and of course the puy lentils.  And this is what I settled on:

Tortilla tapas

I adjusted the recipe slightly by adding in some sundried tomatoes, sliced thinly, and using fresh basil instead of parsley.  I also missed out the chilli flakes, because when I'm feeling run-down anything spicy puts too much strain on my digestive system.

The end result looked pretty good!




Puy lentil & roast tomato salad

Again, I altered the recipe slightly by using mint instead of parsley and cherry tomatoes, halved, instead of larger ones.





My motto is "if it works, use it" and the items I substituted were all just laying around (well, the basil and mint grow on my windowsill!) and needed to be used.  The good thing is I have enough left over for another meal or two, so I'll put the rest in the fridge/freezer to get used up over the next day or so - means less effort for me ;)

I definitely feel a little better now - I know it's mainly psychological, but it all helps right?!  And the food not only looked really appealing but tasted great!  At least now I have the flavour of garlic, mint & lemon juice in my mouth instead of just general yuck lol.

For dessert I'm thinking some strawberries & grapes are in order - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment