Monday 4 July 2011

The start of a new leaf!

I go through phases of wanting to get fit & healthy - so naturally I start going to the gym, changing my diet (I don't believe in diets per se - any changes I make are done with the intention of a longer-lasting effect, rather than some fad diet) but my attention span is so short that I lose interest too quickly and fall back into old habits!

This time around, I want to make it stick - mainly because now I'm in my thirties I've noticed I can't just eat what I like and do what I like without having to face the consequences!  I'm lucky enough to still remember what it was like in my late teens/early twenties - no matter what I ate (and I've always had a good appetite) I could literally walk it off, and never had to take part in planned physical activities to stay in shape.


One thing I'm thankful for from my childhood is my tastebuds - I have an aversion to mayonnaise, cream and coffee, so those things aren't a problem for me.  And I was given raw fruit/veg as snacks when I was young - so while other kids around me were having chocolate bars and packets of crisps, I was happy munching on carrot sticks!

I just seem to have turned into a bit of a couch potato over the past few years, and while I'm not exactly in the obese category I do feel uncomfortable with my weight, shape & appearance at the moment.  And I'm also facing the possibility that I might have PCOS or some other hormonal imbalance which could affect my fertility, so I've decided enough is enough!

Today I tried Zumba for the first time - it was my way of re-initiating myself back to the gym, and I'm so glad I chose this class as my first one!  It was definitely a great workout and my face was beet-ret by the end, but I felt so good afterwards that I've signed up to a second class this week alone!  Couple that with the fact the recent hot weather has put me off having large heavy meals, and my snacks have consisted of salads, I'm feeling more positive about the changes I'm making.

Now I just have to face my trans-vaginal ultrasound this afternoon (eek) and wait the results of that and my recent blood tests...

Next class I've signed up for is step aerobics tomorrow night, if that one is also a success then I think I might have finally found something motivating enough to hold my interest - here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment