Tuesday 5 July 2011

Note to self: step class is not for those returning to fitness!!

Well as the title says, I tried out a step aerobics class tonight.  Was feeling so positive after zumba yesterday, and felt confident that with all my years of step class when I was younger I'd be able to get into it without too much difficulty... wrong!

I could pick up most of the steps ok, but the instructor taking the class didn't seem to take account of the varying levels of fitness within the class. 
So we started at full speed and didn't let up for 30 minutes, adding more steps into the routine after every couple of routines we did.... I was taking lil breathers where I could, sipping water and trying to calm my heart down a little bit... but after 40 minutes I suddenly started seeing black spots in front of my eyes and had to sit down before I fell over!

It's awful to feel this unfit!  So I guess this is one class I'll be skipping next week, haha!  Maybe it's something I can add into my goals - to be able to last a whole class (yes, I snuck out early... **shamefaced**)... without feeling like I'm about to collapse/puke/have a heart attack and could fuel a nuclear reactor with the heat radiating from my face!

On the food side, I made sure I hadn't had a heavy meal beforehand and stuck to a banana and peanut butter sandwich about an hour before I left for the class - I read somewhere that it's better to stock up on carbs and avoid too much fat/protein, so you don't get stomach cramps while you're working out.  I certainly didn't get any cramping, so I guess what I had was ok - shame my fitness level just wasn't up to it!  But I indulged in making a fish pie when I came home - my first one, and I was impressed with the results!  I used a mix of smoked haddock and smoked salmon (both responsibly sourced, according to the packets) for the pie, and served it with some asparagus, brocolli spears and baby corn... yummy!

Got some strawberries in the fridge for dessert - I love strawberry season :)

No comments:

Post a Comment