Tuesday 16 August 2011

Screw Fad Diets, Do What You Want!

Having a bit of an "off day" today - slept late, don't feel inclined to do any of the housework I'd planned on doing...and I've decided it's a Comfort Food kinda day.

Pic sourced from resourcefulcook.com
Not really decided what comfort food I actually want - but it's blustery, grey weather outside, so thinking along the lines of either egg & chips (I have an Actifry - so the chips are pretty much as healthy as I can get them!) or perhaps baked potatoes with cheesy beans (and a few drops of Tabasco for my spice fix).  And it led me back to the conversation I had with the person who upset me a couple of days ago - about what "eating right" entails.  They think that to be fit & healthy, you have to be at the gym 7 days a week and live off salad....but to me, that's way off the mark.  Where do you get all the different nutrients your body needs?  You need proteins, carbs, vitamins, minerals, fats....and you can't really get all that if you live off nothing but lettuce-based meals!

I know that you can vary salads, including proteins like nuts, fish, chicken etc - but I also know this person doesn't do that.  And besides, how boring is it if you're eating the same thing all the time?

I totally believe in moderation - I don't think "a little of what you fancy" does you any harm, so long as it's within reason.  I need variety to keep me interested - already I'm starting to notice how bored I get if things are too "samey" and that goes for work-out routines, eating habits, etc.  So if I wana indulge my cravings then I will!  And so should everyone else!  These fad diets work by completely restricting your options - too much of "don't eat this, don't do that" and I don't know about anyone else but I don't like being told what I can't have, in fact it makes me want it more.

Don't get me wrong, I also love salads - and half the time my cravings tend to involve salad-related things!  But I also love a bit of chocolate (dark chocolate, and especially Green & Blacks' Maya Gold) and the occasional Irn Bru (you can take the girl outta Scotland...!) and I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

What do you indulge in? :)

1 comment:

  1. We've got a recipe somewhere for 'healthy' egg and chips. You do it in the oven so it's really low fat. And the reason I haven't the faintest idea how to make it is because K always makes it as a treat for me. He converts it with a bit of chilli sometimes so it's sort of eggs patatas bravas. It's yummy!

    ReplyDelete